Claiming from insurance is never going to be an enjoyable process. After all, needing to claim means that something has gone wrong – be it a car accident, a burglary, a fire or simply misplacing something of high value. However, if you do need to make a claim, there are ways in which to make the process as efficient as possible, and here’s how:
- Phone your insurance provider’s emergency assistance line as soon as possible. When you’ve had a car accident, this should be as soon as you are medically able and preferably before the tow truck comes to take your car away.
- Report any incident as soon as possible and no later than 30 days after it has occurred.
- Accidents, thefts and hijackings should be reported within 24 hours. If you have a collision in your car, you need to report it to the cops within 24 hours of the incident; even if your car was not damaged. Failing to do this could result in a lengthier claim process that may not have your desired outcome.
- Send through all of the documentation relating to your claim as soon as possible. This includes:
- The police report and case number.
- Your statement to the police.
- Details of the police station and attending officer.
- A detailed list of all items lost, stolen or damaged.
- Any other relevant documentation, such as medical documents if you were injured.
- Details of any third party involved in the incident as well as witness statements if applicable.
- Keep your insurance provider informed of any actions taken against you that could affect your claim – such as legal proceedings or a possible prosecution.
- DON’T get any replacements or repairs for lost, stolen or damaged property without your insurance company’s written permission!
- Any repairs or replacements to your property must be done within 3 months of your approved claim being settled.
- Lastly, help your insurer to help you. Educate yourself about the claim process, ensure that you are honest in all of your communication and be obliging and willing to help every step of the way.
Claiming from insurance shouldn’t be a stressful process – after all, lost, stolen or damaged property is stressful and traumatic enough. We want to make your insurance, monthly repayments and claim process as easy as possible. Get an instant online insurance quote with us today!