Driving in the rain …
So you are driving in the rain… It’s raining, it’s pouring…So if you’re on the road, you better not be snoring!
Even though the rain is desperately needed and most welcome, it can still cause absolute chaos on the roads. This is why we compiled a list of tips for driving in the rain. With rain being one of the top causes of accidents, motorists need to be vigilant and very cautious.
The king and his court have put together their top tips for driving in the drizzle (or pouring rain):
- Always keep an eye on the space between you and the car ahead of you when driving in the rain. Make sure you have enough wiggle room to get yourself out of sticky situations.
- Sudden movements are a definite no-no…Whether it be slamming on the brakes or jerking your steering wheel, it could lead to the car skidding or spinning.
- Be extra careful during the hazardous, first half hour. During the first half hour after the rain begins, roads are at their slipperiest. The water mixes with the grime and oil on the road surface and next thing you know you’ll be slippin’ and slidin’.
- Let your headlights shine when driving in the rain, whether it’s day or night. Rain restricts visibility, so take extra care to make sure you can see others and they can see you. If it’s really pouring and visibility is very limited, we would suggest driving with your hazards on as well.
- Being in a hurry, will get you nowhere. Be sure to leave a bit earlier and allow for extra travel time, to make sure you get where you need to be on time and, most importantly, safely. Take it easy and slow down, because driving fast in the rain only increases the chances of getting into an accident.
- Be sure that your car is rain-weather ready. Do a hands-on inspection of your tyres, fluids, lights, indicators and wiper blades.
- Invest in a decent set of wiper blades. Your, your family’s safety and the safety of others is worth every cent.
The last and probably most important tip that the king can give you is: Be patient! Yes, the roads will be chaos…Yes there probably will be accidents…And yes, might be stuck in traffic a while…But being cool, calm, collected and considerate, and following the king’s top tips might just save a few lives.
To sign up for super cheap insurance from the king go to: Get an online quote