Aftershock – what to do after a crash
No one expects them, but accidents may creep into our lives, whether we’re ready for them or not. Whether it’s a small prang, or something more serious, accidents are traumatic and overwhelming, and it’s hard to always remember what you should do next. Thankfully, the king is here to give you some tips to help you, should you ever find yourself involved in an accident.
After the initial accident
- First things first: Make sure that you and your passengers are out of harm’s way. Get out of the car and make sure to move to a safe place.
- Check if anyone has been injured. If there are any bumps, scratches, or something more serious, call an ambulance. We suggest that you call our emergency assist line and let them take care of it all for you, 0860 55 55 23.
- Remember, rather be safe than sorry. Not all injuries are immediately visible and there may be additional costs incurred should you not make use of the king’s emergency assist line and approved tow operators.
Once you’ve made sure that everyone is ok
- You may be angry, overwhelmed or emotional, but this is no time to lose your cool. Take a few deep breathes to calm yourself. You’ll need a clear head for what’s next.
- Details details details! Take down ALL the necessary details of anyone involved in the accident. You need names, addresses, phone numbers and email addresses so that King Price can contact them. Other important information include ID numbers, license numbers (including the code on the licence), vehicle registration numbers and the make and models of other vehicles.
- Make sure to check that all license discs are valid and that the registration plate matches the license disc.
- Scribble a few notes about important events, such as the time of the crash, location, number of passengers, weather conditions and road surface conditions.
- To make your life that much easier we have prepared an accident form, just incase, that you can download, print and keep in your car, just incase you ever need it. Why not print a copy for all those that you love and care for… click here to get your copy now accident form link
- This is no time to be shy with your camera phone. Take as many photos of the damage as you can. If anyone lies about the incident later, these photos will be your proof. Solid evidence means an easy claim for you.
Call in the experts
- Even if the damage is minimal, ALL cases should be reported to the police. If you don’t report it, the other party could claim that it was a hit-and-run or that you refused to provide your details. Also, you’ll need an accident report to claim from King Price.
- Never lie when giving your statement to the police. This will only cause suspicion around your claim later.
- Don’t leave the scene until you’re happy that the police are aware of all the details of the case.
- Ask witnesses for their names and contact details, just in case legal action is taken.
After the accident
- Keep all the documentation of the incident. This includes police reports, photos and any other information you may have picked up. King Price needs this evidence to start the claims process.
- Don’t wait too long to call us after the accident. Make sure you mention any injuries that resulted from the accident, to either party.
- Sit back and relax while we help get you back on the road again.