Different types of home contents cover

Choosing the right insurance for your home contents isn’t a simple task. You’ve got to keep your budget in mind, and adding a price tag to a sentimental piece is often very tricky.

That’s why we’ve listed the different types of home contents cover options typically available. We’ll also give you some lekker examples so that it makes more sense.

Let’s start at the beginning…

What’s typically covered by home contents insurance

Imagine you’re able to pick up your home and turn it upside down. The loose items that would fall out of your home are what you’d cover under home contents insurance. Think of the comfy couch that you sit on when you watch your favourite series for hours on end. Who doesn’t love a bit of binge-watching? We’re not judging at all, promise.

Along with your couch, home contents cover also includes items like loose rugs, portraits, and your TV. Even that massive CD collection that you’re still clinging to because it made you look like the ultimate DJ back in the day…

Now that we know what’s covered by home contents insurance, let’s take a closer look at what types of cover there are.


Comprehensive home contents insurance means you’re covered for the loss of, or damage to, items in your home. These items must belong to you or any members of your household who live with you. It doesn’t include items belonging to your tenants.

Fire and fury

With this option, you’re covered for the loss of, or damage to, items in your home. The items applicable must belong to you and the members of your household, excluding your tenants.

Exceptions to this type of cover are that you’re not covered for theft or attempted theft. For example, you’re not covered against loss or damage caused by fire if burglars started the fire.

So, that covers your home contents. Now, what about all the things that you take with you when you leave home? For those, you need portable possessions cover. (Some insurers call this all-risks cover.)

Portable possessions

Imagine your laptop is stolen from your bag or car… Any time it’s not on your insured property. It’ll be covered under portable possessions insurance. The same goes for items like your cellphone, watch or expensive jewellery.

Just remember, with King Price,  jewellery and watches that are worth more than R35,000 must be specified individually on your policy schedule. They must also be locked in an SABS-compliant safe when you’re not wearing them.

If you’re going to take your laptop with you when you leave your home and you want it to be insured against loss or damage, you’ll have to get separate portable possessions insurance for that.

Now that we’ve given you an idea of what typical home contents insurance entails, you’ll be glad to know that King Price offers 2 options, as well as cover for the things that you take with you when you leave home… With royal service to match.

So, whether you’re looking for comprehensive or fire and fury cover for your home contents, or portable possessions cover, click here or WhatsApp 0860 50 50 50 for a commitment-free quote.

Different types of home contents cover
Article Name
Different types of home contents cover
Discover the different types of home contents insurance cover. Learn how to choose the best insurance for your valuables and sentimental pieces with King Price. Call them for a commitment-free quote today.
Publisher Name
King Price Insurance
Publisher Logo