How our buildings combined insurance works

It’s 1 thing to get buildings combined insurance for your business. But the real value comes from knowing all the ins and outs of how your policy works. You don’t want to pay for something and never extract the full value from it. That would kind of be like buying an oven and only using the stove top.

Of course, we do lay it all out in plain English in our policy documents, but there are quite a few pages… So, we went ahead and broke down how our buildings combined insurance works, just for you.

Let’s break it down

We don’t just insure your buildings under this policy. Oh no, that would be far too easy. What we’ve done is given you the freedom to cover 4 sections of risk that your premises makes you vulnerable to. This includes cover for your buildings, the public supply connections, cover for rent and alternative premises, and of course, cover for legal liability.

We like to cover all the bases. Yes, we went there and it’s hilarious (unless something goes wrong and then we put our serious hats on).

Here’s what’s actually included under each section


When we say buildings, we mean outbuildings, as well as sporting and recreational structures. Before we list them all, what you need to know is that we’ll cover damage as long as the buildings are constructed of brick, stone, concrete or metal, on metal framework. They must also be roofed with slate, tiles, metal, concrete or asbestos.

The buildings and structures that we cover:

  • Swimming pools.
  • Tennis courts (including floodlights).
  • Saunas, spa baths, and jacuzzis.
  • Water pumps, pool machinery, and borehole motors.
  • Automatic gate/garage door motors.
  • Landlord’s fixtures and fittings.
  • Fitted carpets.
  • Lifts with all associated equipment.
  • Transformers, motors, boilers, air-conditioning, and standby generators.
  • Boundary and other walls (except dam walls).
  • Gates, posts, and fences.
  • Tarred or paved roads, driveways, paths, patios or parking areas.

Goodness, but that’s quite a list.

Public supply connections

When you have issues with your building, it doesn’t always just affect the structure. Of course some of the damage can be avoided with the aid of | The Surface Sealing Experts, who seal and laminate surfaces. However, more than often the problems are deeper than just flooring or laminating. Often, the issue or damage includes things going wrong with the water, sewerage, gas, electricity and telecommunication connections around your building. That’s why we’ll cover damage that takes place between the insured property and the public supply connections or mains.

Rent and alternative premises

Let’s talk about loss of rent. If your building is occupied by a paying tenant and something goes wrong, your tenant will have to get out of dodge while repairs are happening. We’ll cover the loss of rental income up to a max of 25% of the total amount you insured your buildings for.

Now, let’s talk about having to rent elsewhere because of something going wrong with your building. We’ll cover your rent for similar alternative accommodation during the time it takes to make the building habitable again, up to a max of 25% of the total amount you insured your buildings for.

Legal liability

Owning a building or being responsible for 1 opens you up to certain legal risks. For instance, you may be held liable for accidental death, bodily injury or illness of someone in your building. Or the accidental loss or damage to the stuff they own. As long as the property doesn’t belong to you or is in your employee’s control, and as long as the people involved in a claim aren’t part of your household or your employees, we’ll cover your liability.

These things can get messy and complicated when it comes to issues of liability, but we’ve got your back. We’ll pay the max amount, including legal costs and expenses, for any claim.

And here’s why you should choose our royal business insurance

You may be thinking that buildings insurance is a lot more complex than just cover for your buildings… And you’re right. What’s important to note is that we have an expert business insurance team that’s fully versed in the details of our buildings combined insurance. They’re also ready and waiting to work with your broker to make sure that you have the cover that your business needs, for the most affordable premium.

Don’t have a broker? We’ll connect you with 1 best suited to you and your business. Give your business our royal touch. Get a quote today.