Motorbike insurance

Motorbike insurance

Insurance for your 2-wheeled wonder... Including cover you’ll only get with the king

In a nutshell

The king’s comprehensive motorbike insurance covers you for accident damage, theft and hi-jacking, and for your liability to other parties following a motorbike accident. And, because we care about you, you’re also covered for medical expenses related to an accident involving the insured motorbike, as well as for some accidental damage that happens at track school.

We also offer you the option to insure your motorbike gear for just R1 a month if your motorbike’s comprehensively insured with us.

Just to be clear

We do things a little differently, so here are some terms you might not have come across before, but which are important to our motorbike cover:

You can choose the cover you want

This covers you for accident damage, theft and hi-jacking, and for damage that you accidentally cause to other parties and/or their property as a result of a motorbike accident.

You’re also covered for:

  • Medical expenses for the named rider following an accident involving the insured motorbike.
  • Some accidental damage that happens at track school provided that we’ve pre-authorised the track day.
  • Hail damage.
  • Damage that happens while on- or off-loading, or transporting, your motorbike.
  • Business use (but not if you’re doing deliveries or collections, sorry).
  • Damage that happens while your motorbike is being on- or off-loaded, or is in transit.

Here, you’re covered for theft and hi-jacking, as well as for liability for injury to other people and damage to their property as a result of a motorbike accident. Third party and theft insurance doesn’t cover any accidental damage to your own motorbike.

Here you’re covered for liability for injury to other people or damage to their property as a result of a motorbike accident.

Some cover is way better than no cover at all. Here, you’re covered for theft and hi-jacking.

Track days are a GO

When your bike’s covered by the king, you’re covered for track days as long as we’ve approved them upfront. Here’s a list of track schools that’ll get your throttle-hand itching… Please just remember to pop an email to [email protected] before you go roaring off.

Province Track school Contact Phone no.
Gauteng Trackdaze Arno 083 332 5767
Gauteng Michelin Superbike School Dirk 083 253 2573
Gauteng Superbike track days Clinton 083 887 2053
Gauteng Redstar Rider Training Quintin 076 624 6972
Gauteng King Price/ Clint Seller track days Clint 083 700 2111
Free State Moto Rider Academy Andre 084 507 5767
Western Province Mike Hopkins track days   021 461 5167
Western Province Suzuki South track days   021 761 0157

Frequently asked questions about motorbike insurance

When your motorbike is insured with King Price, only the named rider stated on your policy schedule will be covered in the event of a claim. This means that there won’t be cover if anyone else rides your motorbike… Not your spouse or son, not your mate visiting from Oz, not your neighbour. Noone.

The agreed value that’s shown on your King Price policy schedule refers to the amount that the motorbike is covered for. This agreed value must be, well, agreed on by you and us, and must include the non-standard fitted extras and accessories. This agreed value won’t depreciate, and so your motorbike premium won’t decrease monthly (sorry).

Any South African NATIS-registered motorbike that’s classified as a:

  • Superbike
  • Naked superbike
  • Muscle bike
  • Touring bike
  • Super touring bike
  • Dual sport bike
  • Motard
  • Cruiser
  • Custom bike
  • Classic bike
  • Scooter
  • Hyperscooter
  • 3-wheeler
  • Sidecar

The use that you choose is stated on your policy schedule. It’s vital that you insure your motorbike for the correct use.

Private use covers the named rider for private and social purposes, including riding between home and work (and shopping on the weekend, visiting mom, and stopping in at KFC)

Business use covers the named rider for private use, with additional cover for when the motorbike forms an essential part of any work or function but excluding deliveries.

Motorbikes that are used for the following aren't covered by the king:

  • Emergency services (including traffic control and armed response).
  • Law enforcement.
  • Towing.
  • Taxi purposes or transporting of fare-paying passengers.
  • Deliveries and collections.

The following motorbikes aren’t covered by the king:

  • Full off-road bikes
  • Quad bikes
  • Trail bikes
  • Pit bikes
  • Buggies and side-by-sides
  • Hyper superbikes

In order to get the king’s motorbike cover, you need to have a valid South African motorcycle licence.

King Price won’t cover you for riding with an endorsed licence or without a valid licence.

You’re also not covered for riding with a foreign licence, unless you have a valid international permit or licence that was issued in your country. The licence must be in English (or be translated into English by the authorities of that country), and must have a photo of you. Any person living in SA permanently must get a SA licence within 1 year of becoming a permanent resident. If the foreign licence is a provisional or learner’s licence, you must get a valid SA driver’s licence.

If you only have a learner’s licence, you’re not covered if you’re carrying a passenger at the time of an incident.

With King Price, your motorbike is covered in SA, Botswana, Lesotho, Mozambique, Namibia, Swaziland and Zimbabwe when used for private purposes. If your motorbike is insured for business use, then it’s not covered while being used for business purposes outside SA.

King Price may require you to fit an anti-theft device to your motorbike.

If a tracking device is a condition of cover, you need to inform the relevant tracking company, immediately after a theft or hi-jacking takes place. You won’t enjoy theft and hi-jack cover if the required tracking device isn’t installed. Your safety is our concern, always.