012 001 0900

or leave your info below and we'll call you back

Car Insurance Quotes

Afrikaanse weergawe

Buildings, home contents and portable possessions

Make your house a home with a little help from our king

In a nutshell

Under ‘Homeowners’ you’re covered for damage to the physical structures of your property, including your home and its outbuildings. You’re also covered for everything in these buildings… All the things that make your home a home. And then, because we’re nice like that, you’re also covered for all the things you take off your property regularly, like your cellphone, laptop and expensive jewellery and watches. What’s more, you’re covered for liability linked to the risks, as well.

You’re covered against the sudden and unforeseen loss or damage of the whole or part of your property, under these 3 sections:

  • Buildings.
  • Home contents.
  • Portable possessions.

In terms of liability, you’re also covered against:

  • The accidental death of, or bodily injury to, people other than the members of your household or your domestic employees. (If an accident happens while your domestic employee is working for you, you’re also covered if the accident leads to death or bodily injury.)
  • The accidental loss of, or damage to, property that belongs to others.
  • Legal costs that someone else may recover from you.

Loss or damage to property due to or caused by

  • Stoppage, slowing down, or the interruption, of work or any process.
  • Consequential loss.
  • The detention or confiscation of money by any lawfully-constituted authority.
  • War, acts of a foreign enemy, warlike operations, military uprising, usurped power, martial law, rebellion, terrorism or revolution.
  • Mechanical or electrical faults or breakdown, wear and tear, gradual deterioration, or the use of unsuitable or defective materials or parts.
  • Inherent defect, or defective design or workmanship.
  • Misuse or demolition, alteration, cleaning, renovation, repair, restoration, re-framing, maintenance, redecoration, refurbishment, or a similar process.
  • Rust, oxidation, corrosion, moth, vermin or insects, normal settlement, warping or shrinkage, rot, fungus, mold, rising damp or infestation.
  • Weeds or roots.
  • Legal costs, which are awarded to you by a foreign court.
  • Items being stolen from an unattended tent, trailer or caravan.
  • Dryness, humidity or exposure to light or extreme temperature.
  • Chipping, scratching, disfiguration or discoloration.
  • Loss-prevention costs (due to subsidence, heave or landslip).
  • Remedial action, including repairs to damaged pipe/s.
  • Pollution or contamination.
  • Smoke and rising damp.
  • Chewing scratching, tearing, denting, vomiting or fouling by your pets.
  • Coastal or river erosion.
  • Rates, taxes, duties, developments or other charges or assessments arising from capital appreciation.
  • Subsidence, landslip or ground heave (unless stated otherwise on your policy schedule).
  • The building being unoccupied, abandoned or vacant for more than 45 days in a row.
  • You, any members of your household or your tenant, intentionally.
  • Incidents which happen with your knowledge or consent.
  • Incidents which occur within South Africa or Namibia, unless specific ‘Riot and strike’ cover has been obtained.
  • Building works.
  • Existing damage.
  • Acts of nature (wind, thunder, lightning, storm, hail, flood or snow) which cause, or contribute to, the damage of unroofed or partially roofed structures.
  • Personal liability.
  • The theft of building materials, fixtures, fittings and improvements.
  • Scorching.
  • Volume changes in any clay-based soil or in rock, caused by changes in its moisture or water content.
  • Cracking, denting, biting, tearing or dirtying.
  • The rise of the underground water table, or pressure caused by it.
  • Construction, alteration or repairs.
  • A lack of maintenance.
  • The additional underpinning of foundations.
  • Burst, overflowing or leaking sewerage/waste pipes.
  • Liability which arises from the ownership of any land, building, lifts, animals, vehcicles, aircraft, watercraft, weapons or firearms.
  • Liability covered by laws and/or other insurance contracts.
  • Theft, attempted theft, vandalism or malicious acts.
  • Theft or misappropriation by a tenant or subtenant.
  • Storm, wind, water, hail and snow during renovation, addition or extension.
  • The forcible and violent entry to a locked vehicle.
  • Incorrect, or overcharged ammunition in firearms or guns.
  • Fading, creasing, denting, scratching, tearing, thinning, colour transfer, dampness or temperature extremes which damage stamps, coins or collectables.
  • The disappearance of individual stamps, coins or other collectable items that are insured as part of a collection.
  • The restoration, repair, or retouching of stamps, coins or other collectable items.
  • Identity theft, which is due to negligence, in connection with your profession, or due to your family members or people who live at the insured premises.
  • The act of any lawful authority in any other way dealing with any occurrence referred to in any of the clauses above.

As well as loss, or damage to

  • Solid floor slabs, swimming pools, tennis court patios, terrace driveways paths, septic or conservancy tanks, drains, water courses, walls, gates, posts and fences.
  • Windmills.
  • Retaining walls.
  • Money.
  • A let or sublet building.
  • Glass and sanitary ware that’s broken accidentally.
  • Automatic swimming pool equipment.
  • Outbuildings.
  • A grass, straw or thatch roof.
  • Property more specifically insured elsewhere.
  • Vehicles, motorbikes and watercraft, except toys and models.
  • Aircraft, including remote-controlled power-driven toy and model aircraft.
  • Firearms or guns, unless stored in a gun safe when not being carried on a person.
  • A building which doesn’t comply with the National Building Regulations and Building Standards Act No. 103 of 1977 (or any replacement statute, or provincial or local legislation or regulation).
  • Jewellery and watches (specifically if they’re snatched from an unoccupied vehicle).
  • Items which are still within their manufacturer’s warranty period.
  • Watches or articles of jewellery valued at more than R15,000.
  • Any motorised wheelchair, golf trolley, golf cart, motorised scooter, or sit-in toy or miniature vehicle being used in circumstances where any road traffic legislation applies.
  • Quad bikes.
  • Average protector benefit.
  • Mechanical breakdown: Electric stoves.
  • Riot and strike.
  • Special replacement of geysers.
  • Subsidence: Extended cover.